Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Grandpa Webster Cooper Maughan's Funeral...

Today we went to Preston, Idaho for Grandpa Maughan's viewing and funeral and then to Wellsville for his burial. All of his 7 kids spoke at his funeral, and the spirit was so strong. It was the best funeral I have been to! Grandpa Maughan fought in World War II and received the purple heart for wounds received in battle. He was a paratrooper and fought in the infamous Battle of Bastogne. At his burial he received full military honors, it was really neat to see!

Jace tired after a long day(he was actually sick, and threw-up on the way home.)

This is the rifle party who fired the volley shots as a salute(firing blank cartridges into the air three times.) Then a military soldier played"Taps"(a famous musical piece) on the trumpet(I posted a video of it at the end of this post.) This was my favorite part of the funeral, and I know Grandpa Maughan loved every minute of it!

Then they folded up the flag and gave it to Kristin(she is the oldest child.)

Jace having some alone time. I love this picture, because he really did love Grandpa Maughan so much, and I think that he wanted some time to himself to remember the good times!

After the pallbearers put their flowers on the casket. Grandpa's casket was so beautiful! I love the wheat(Grandpa was a dry farmer for years) on the casket.

Lena(Grandpa's foster daughter) and her beautiful family.

Vivian, Lori, Ashley, Me and Melissa(5 of the 6 sister-in-laws...we missed you Jenni!)

Kristin with 5 of her daughter-in-laws!

Justin, Braden, Aaron, Kristin and Darren. We missed you Cameron and Landon!

Family picture

Jace making sure that Grandpa Maughan was going to have a nice new home.

I love how funerals bring families together!

Had to get a picture with Cole in it!

Jace slept the whole way home...poor kid, he was so sick! He actually slept the whole way up there and during the whole funeral.
We will miss you so much Grandpa Maughan. Thanks for your legacy!

2 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

Looks like a beautiful funeral! From what I knew of him he was a great man... I'm sure he will be greatly missed!

Jamie said...

He was such a nice grandpa!